The University of Minnesota’s international students possess key qualities and skills that are in high demand for employers. Hiring University of Minnesota’s international students is surprisingly quick, easy and cost-free (until at least 12 months post-graduation).

For more information on the benefits and ease of hiring the University of Minnesota's international students, please watch this short video presentation developed by the University of Minnesota's Career Services Administration. https://youtu.be/KRH_QoiosqM

International Advantage:

  • Comprehensive education with emphasis on creative problem-solving, entrepreneurial mindset, and clear communication
  • Abundant opportunities to participate in research, student organizations, mentorships and leadership development
  • Strong analytical skills useful in addressing U.S. labor gaps
  • Multilingual capacity, and experience succeeding in global work teams
  • Adaptability, perseverance, and ability to function in highly ambiguous situations

  • Ways to Hire International Students:


  • Full-time during school breaks and/or part-time during school, as long as the work is related to the student’s major field of study (students must have completed two semesters in the U.S. before becoming eligible for internships)
  • Student is completely responsible for filing paperwork with the U of MN and can be authorized to begin work within 7 working days
  • Employer must only present the student with an internship offer of employment—no government filings, no expense!

  • 12-36 months Full-Time (OPT) work after graduation:

  • Part-time or full-time in a position related to their major for at least 12 months after graduation
  • Student is completely responsible for filing paperwork with the U of MN and may be eligible to begin work as early as immediately following graduation
  • International students in select University of Minnesota programs in science, technology, engineering or math are eligible for an additional 24 months of part-time or full-time work (for a total of 36 months!) if you currently are or become an e-verified employer (called a STEM extension).
  • Employer must only present the student with an internship offer of employment—no government filings, no expense!

  • Beyond OPT:

  • Employers can sponsor International students for longer-term work most commonly by applying for H-1B (employer-sponsored work visas for 3-year duration, renewable for up to 6 years, costs ranging from $2K-6K) or permanent residence, known as green card. These work visas do require employers to file paperwork with U.S. Immigration Services and expenses include filing and legal fees. Other visa possibilities also exist.

  • Legal Disclaimer:

    This guide is not intended as and does not serve as legal advice; it is for informational purposes only and is NOT a substitute for professional legal advice. Content is subject to change, and employers are advised to consult an experienced U.S. Immigration Attorney for advice and further information.

    Note: Most University of Minnesota international students hold an F-1 visa and the work authorization described in this handout applies to these F-1 students. The small number of international students on other types of visas, such as J-1, may have different rules around work options. University of Minnesota students are responsible for knowing their own visa status and being able to explain its restrictions to employers.

    Advisers at International Student and Scholar Services at UMN-Twin Cities offer general advice to employers about F-1, J-1, and H-1B visa work options for UMN international students. For information about a specific student, the student must first sign our release of information. You can contact ISSS at: isss@umn.edu or 612-626-7100

    For more information on regulations regarding hiring international students, see http://www.uscis.gov/